Monday, March 30, 2009

You can't fight your DNA!

You can't fight your DNA, but you can try.

Every year for the military we do a PHA- periodic health assessment. This year I had to get my blood drawn (actually every year we do) for HIV and a cholesterol screening. I can't even begin to imagine all the money the government wastes every year getting HIV screenings on people like me- married, monogamous, and no new sexual partners in over a decade! I am sure you are all pleased that your tax dollars are going to good use!

Anyways, my cholesterol came back high. Total cholesterol of 207! Under 200 is "normal". I knew for a while that my cholesterol was creeping up, but thought I was doing a good job of keeping it low. Guess I was wrong.

My Triglycerides were also really high.

I am going to have to start limiting my red meat consumption, exercising more, eating fish! I love a good steak and hate fish.

I know that a large part of this is probably genetic, my mom's side of the family all had raging high cholesterol. Although I attributed their high cholesterol to their eating habits. My mom said grandma used to use bacon grease to butter her bread!

So what can be done to lower cholesterol, there are a lot- but here is what I am going to do:

  1. Exercise More
  2. Less Red Meat
  3. Fish Oil supplements
  4. Oatmeal
We'll see what happens...I will get it checked again in six months.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So how do you lower your triglycerides? Cuz that's the problem I have. And if my doctor doesn't know, then I have NO CONFIDENCE in military medicine!

So Friends was just on AFN and I thought of you. I forgot how truly funny it was! Shame on me!

Katrina said...

Lowering Triglcerides is a tricky one! You have to reduce calories, and also less carbs. This will be a tough one for me! I love my bread! Also being on birth control can increase them.

Ah, Friends is a wonderful show. I watch it regularly, over and over and over again!

fg said...

EWW! Grandma really did that?

I haven't had a fasting lipid test in forever. Perhaps I should have one done soon.

I couldn't give up carbs... I love milk, cereal, and bread WAY too much!