Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Never say Never

Yesterday as I was pacing around the hospital in full chemical warfare gear, huffing and puffing in my gas mask, I can't believe my life has taken me here.

I remember in high school there were three things I knew I would never do. Number one was get married. Marriage signified the end. Once you were married you were locked in, no more variety, no more fun. A husband would only hold me down, keep me from achieving my goals, and overall make me miserable. Turns out I was wrong on that one. Once I found Joe, I didn't know instantly he was the one. But after he stood by me through some really hard times, I still didn't know. Luckily Joe didn't give up easy and after cancelling our wedding- not once, but twice....we finally did it! I couldn't be happier. Being married hasn't stopped me from achieving anything. Joe has only made my dreams possible. Without him I don't think I would have finished medical school, or residency.

The second thing I was sure I would never do was have children. If getting married locked you down, children were a million times worse. I didn't want to worry about kids and raising them properly. When Joe and I finally got married we agreed- absolutely no children! Then after delivering several babies at work, I started to think more and more about it. Then I think biology took over and then I really wanted them. Fortunately Joe really likes kids and was willing to compromise on the issue. Now that we have Jordan, I can't imagine life without him.

Everyday I look forward to seeing what new tricks Jordan has learned, what new thing he will do, and what he will destroy. The funny thing about it is that I don't even care what he breaks-most of the time!

The third and final thing I would do was join the military. I was sure that this would be an awful decision and I would regret it terribly. And pretty much I was wrong about everything, except this rule. The military does suck completely. I can't wait to get out.

2 comments:

angela said...

I started laughing when you got to the end...no one ever admits that being in the military sucks! I'm so glad that you are happy being married and having a baby. My dad was married 4 times and my mom was married 5 times and I never thought I'd get married after growing up with that legacy, but here I am, and I am so happy too! And kids changed me so much, making me more confident and less rigid, and allowing me to love more than I ever thought that I could. I talked to the teacher at Ben's school and I guess that kid has a long track record; they are keeping a log on him and everything and even limited the amount of days he can go there. They said they will keep an eye on things with Ben, but man do I hate that kid. It's so hard because there isn't much more I can do! Hope you both are settling in well!

Unknown said...

I had to practically beg Chris to have 1 kid, because he wanted zero. And now they give us such joy, he wants more! You'd think 4 was enough, but no! I told him ok for #5, but it better not be just yet, Malcolm has to at least be a year old. I'm cutting him off at 5, but get back to me in a few years, we may end up with more.