Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Working the Night Shift...

I don't know how people do it. I worked the last two nights and it was hell. Everyone kept telling me how slow it would be, that I would have tons of time to study for boards, I would be so bored they said... WRONG!!

We were so busy both nights. Everytime I would even think about laying down on my office floor- seriously there is no call room!- they would come in and wake me up again. It was pretty much non-stop the entire time.

It is pretty sad to look in my office. There is an exercise mat that someone left in there and an old wool blanket. I roll the mat out and use the blanket. Hey when you get desperate, you will do anything! Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep d/t constant patients and constant questions regarding my orders. Apparently I stuttered when I wrote the orders down...so frustrating when the nurses just ask a billion questions, "Are you sure you want to do this, what about this, what about that?" Seriously my patience was wearing thin... murderous rage building...

Then this morning they had a recall and everyone had to come in. I didn't mind that part since I was already there- it was kind of nice to have all the company for the last part of my shift. But then I had to stay an hour later until we were released. I was dead for the day. Joe watched Jordy and did a really good job of keeping him quiet. He had to confiscate his new favorite toe- the push-corn popper dealie (not sure what the real name is for it!). Jordy found it at the Bx and pushed it around the store for an hour and a half while we shopped. We ended up buying it for him b/c it made him so happy!

As soon as we got it home I wished we hadn't gotten it. That thing is so shockingly loud in our house. It didn't seem so bad in the store with all the other noise going on, but now it is like a machine gun going off constantly. To make it worse Jordy can't push it in a straight line so he periodically picks it up and slams it back down in front of him...it is so loud! We have to yell at eachother to communicate! At least Jordy is entertained!

So since I am on this night schedule, now I don't know whether I should stay up all night tonight and sleep tomorrow, or go back to a normal schedule. But I work Thursday night, then Friday night off, then Saturday and Sunday night....

2 comments:

Kameron said...

I hate working nights. I had to work graveyard shift 2 nights a week back in the day and I was wrecked. I don't know how you manage to think straight!! I'd probably accidentally kill someone if it were me!

Kameron said...

I gave you a blogging award! No strings attached!! :o)