Sunday, February 15, 2009

Where is your locus?

As I was talking with some friends today, I realized not everyone has an internal locus of control.

That is mumbo jumbo speak for where do you think control of your life is from. If you have an internal locus of control than you know that you are in charge of your life. You make the decisions, you call the shots, it is all about you.

A lot of people have an external locus of control. That means they feel like everything else controls their life. They are fat because their wife cooks fatty meals. They don't exercise because the kids won't let them. Basically everything wrong with their lives is someone else's fault.

It is usually easier to notice the faults in others than it is in yourself. As I sat listening to all the reasons my friend couldn't do something, I started to space out thinking about all the things I let control me.

I haven't been working out because I was worried Joe would be upset. I haven't been eating good because.... Basically, I was letting go of my locus. Letting other people and things control me.

Today I decided to take charge. Take back my locus!

Where are you letting other people control you? Do you naturally have an internal or external locus? How do you keep balance? How can you change it?

2 comments:

Kameron said...

I had that same feeling last night. Aaron always brings treats and other fattening things into the house because he doesn't get fat. I blamed the fact that I ate them on the fact that they were there. Not last night!! As he made his kettle corn in the microwave at 10pm I chanted my new mantra in my mind, "food doesn not control me" over and over again. When he got back tot he couch with his delicious snack and asked if I wanted some, i politely said no thanks...and then went to the gym at 8 this morning with my friend.

I think it isn't selfish of you to want to go to the gym and be healthy. You are doing it for you and Joe and so you'll be around for Jordy as long as possible. Plus, a mom who feels good about herself projects a happy positive attitude and your whole family will love a happier you!!

Katrina said...

I am proud to report that, yes, I did make it to the gym!! Well kind of the gym...after my shift at work I went over to the Physical Therapy Office. They have a treadmill and weights and other stuff. I worked out for 45 minutes!! Hooray!!